Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Primal Meat-up!


Yesterday, I went to my very first Primal Meetup in St. Louis! We spent some time running, chasing, and being chased (capture the flag, definitely a blast from my past). We threw some light things (frisbee!) and some heavier things (giant-ass hammer!). I got my twenty minutes of sun (and then some), which is rare enough on a weekday. And then we ate some delicious, delicious primal/paleo food (head cheese!). I think this may be the first time I left a BBQ where I ate to my heart’s content and didn’t get sick afterwards.



How I knew I was in the right place.

I was really blown away by how nice everyone was to us newbies. There just seemed to be an instant sense of community. It really reinforced the idea that Paleo/Primal is so much more than just a diet; it’s a lifestyle. And a damn fine one at that! Attending something like this was way out of my comfort zone, but I’m so glad I did. I made this salad to bring to the BBQ portion of the evening, which was pretty good but could definitely be improved by adding some more spices (maybe fresh basil or dill?). I mixed the leftovers with poached chicken and had it for lunch tonight. Yum!

Bacon, Tomato, Egg and Avocado Salad
Adapted from here.



  • 2 large-ish tomatos
  • 3 small avocados
  • 6 poached eggs
  • ¼ red onion
  • 6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • Juice from ½ lemon
  • Salt and pepper


  1. Dice first 4 ingredients and throw them (or place them gently) into a bowl
  2. Add bacon, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
  3. Stir until just combined

No comments:

Post a Comment