Monday, May 28, 2012

Salutations and Strata


Ah, the first blog post.

Well, the first for this blog at least. All throughout my vast and complicated relationship with what I fondly  refer to as the interwebs I have left behind a string of blogs, never to be read again (well, technically never to be read at all). But as always, this time will be different. So welcome, hypothetical reader, to my newly refurbished corner of the internets. Here there be dragons!



Okay, so not dragons exactly, but you can bet they will be mentioned once or twice in the context of the upcoming Hobbit movie. Mostly this blog is about food and life, and the combination of which has become my personal take on the Primal lifestyle. It involves more cheating than I’d admit (and less lifting than I’d like), but I’m trying to get better. Correspondingly, this blog is about holding myself accountable for what I eat and the amount of time I spending sitting on my ass. It’s about getting out and exploring the city I live in. It’s about geeking out to all sorts of embarrassing things. It’s about cat pictures (namely those of my two cats). And it’s about me.

But mostly, it’s about food. Real food. I won’t be talking much about the science behind Primal/Paleo eating, as I don’t feel like I’d read enough to speak with any authority. But I can say that I feel so much better eating this way, and that following this diet has motivated me to lead a healthier life; to go out into the world, pick up heavy things, and put them back down.

Anyway back to the food. This recipe is adapted from the cookbook of one of my favorite blogs. I made it once following the recipe but this time I kind of winged it. It’s hard to compare the two because last time I made it with Italian pork sausage (greasy, fatty, delicious!) and this time I used ground turkey (umm…healthy?). Both are pretty damn good though.

Eggplant Strata



  • 1 Large Eggplant
  • 2 ½ cup tomato sauce
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 2-3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
  • Olive oil
  • Freshly grated parmesan


  1. Slice eggplant to half inch thick rounds. Salt both sides and let sit on paper towels for ~40 minutes (to get out the moisture and make them less bitter). Rinse and pat dry.
  2. Brush eggplant with olive oil and broil in oven for 5-10 minutes until slightly brown and cooked through. Remove eggplant and turn the over down to 350°C. 
  3. In the meantime, fry up an onion in olive oil in a large pan on top of the stove. Add ground turkey and Italian seasoning and cook until turkey is no longer pink.
  4. Mix together tomato sauce and eggs in a large bowl.
  5. Grease a 7 x 11 inch pan with olive oil. Add half of the eggplant slices to the bottom. Cover with half the meat, then half the sauce. Repeat layers and top with parmesan. Bake for ~30 minutes until egg is solid. 
  6. Consume.


No comments:

Post a Comment